Partnership for Learning & Education
Partnership for Learning and Education – the PLE consists of three secondary schools. (Lipson Co-operative Academy, Sir John Hunt Community Sports College and Tor Bridge High.) It is the largest Educational consortium in Plymouth and is becoming the largest sixth form provision in the city, which offers a broad and diverse range of courses to suit students of all abilities, in order to prepare them for future progression to university, apprenticeships and employment.
PLE offer over 20 different A levels and 13 different level 3 courses such as BTEC as well as specialised level 3 qualifications. Our vocational offer is outstanding with over 45 level 2 and 3 courses to choose from – all vocational courses offer work placements and give students real experience in their chosen field of work ensuring they gain the necessary employability skills.
With over 800 students accessing learning through PLE, we are proud that each one leaves us well qualified and prepared for their next step in life. Their CVs are rich not just with qualifications but with enrichment activities, work experience and volunteering opportunities giving our students the edge over others.
Last year over 130 of our students gained places at university. The vast majority attended their first choice and over 10% of students went on to study at Russell Group Universities. We challenge our students to ensure they can achieve the highest grades possible – we see many A* and A-B grades and indeed, our BTEC courses receive the highest amount of Distinctions with over 74 Distinction & Distinction* achieved in 2015. Cambridge Technical Awards also achieve very well across the PLE with over 13 Distinctions awarded in 2015.
Our vocational success is recognised and accepted across the city. Our students complete both level 2 and 3 courses, taking part in essential work experience and additional qualifications that make them the employees that businesses want. Indeed, more students access full employment after studying with us than any other provider.
Our aim is a 0% NEET (not in Education, Employment or Training) figure for our year 11 moving into Post 16. We offer impartial Information, advice and guidance and ensure students are signposted to the most appropriate course options bespoke to them.
There are so many things that make PLE an ideal place to study. On top of qualifications, we also offer:
- Overseas trips, visit and fieldwork opportunities.
- A wide range of additional online qualifications to broaden and deepen your knowledge and interest.
- Outstanding support with university applications.
- Close liaison with universities to support your transition to HE.
- Work Experience and volunteering opportunities.
- Career Ready Mentoring and Internships- the only provision in the SW to offer this.
- Gold Duke of Edinburgh Award.
- Extended Project Qualification
- Enhanced transition into sixth form.
- Outstanding curriculum offer.
- Free transport to PLE schools.
- Fast track progression onto a Foundation course for Art and Design.
- "Aspire" programme – support in applying to top universities.
- The "Edge" programme that enriches students’ lives and CVs.
- A range of student leadership opportunities, such as Associate Governors, Young Enterprise, Engineering "Gold Credit Award" with the Royal Navy, Sports Leadership, Amnesty and Arts Community Award.
- Annual conferences.
- University trips.
If you would like to learn more about studying with the PLE, please contact:
Rebecca Marshall - firstname.lastname@example.org
Julie Bevan - Julie.email@example.com
Debbie Norris - firstname.lastname@example.org
We would be delighted to show you around our facilities and talk to you about how we can enhance your sixth form learning experience.